Senior Legal Administrative Assistant
Hammerco Lawyers is a widely recognized B.C. law firm who has been selected as one of Canada’s top employers and voted best law firm to work for in Vancouver.
Our talented, diverse team of legal professionals lead with a client focused mind and a collaborative spirit. We lean on our collective strengths and work together to deliver powerful legal solutions to our clients. We pride ourselves on being results driven and innovative, with the goal of improving 1% everyday in the way we operate.
We offer our team lots of flexibility with our hybrid work model. We recognize that we all have lives outside of work and we want you to succeed in your work and personal life. Our flexible office space was designed to allow our team to pick and choose their office or desk space when they do come into the office. We offer a state-of-the-art experience with sit stand desks, a stocked kitchen with snacks and beverages, and a roof top patio for summer hangouts.
We combine our top-notch legal skills with true passion for what we do.
Who you are
Our team is looking for a Senior Legal Administrative Assistant that provides support to lawyers in various areas and stages of Litigation matters, in the delivery of Powerful Legal Solutions to the firm’s clients.
- Strategic oversight, including initiating documentation and correspondence on files.
- Responsible with initiating documentation and correspondence on files.
- Wage loss assessments (personal injury specific).
- Reviewing/redacting records (personal injury specific).
- Preparing demand letters/settlement proposals.
- Preparing mediation summaries.
- Conducting pre-claim investigation, legal research, and initial case assessments.
- Drafting pleadings, notices of application, responses to notice of application documents and filing them with the court.
- Preparing trial briefs, exhibits, affidavits and other supporting documents.
- File closing, including preparing final invoice/payout documentation.
- Negotiating repayment of subrogated interests (personal injury specific).
- Providing instructions and guidance to Legal Assistants.
- Coaches, mentors and trains other Legal Assistants on legal procedures and Hammerco Standards.
- Preparing Notice to Admit and Response to Notices to Admit.
- Preparing Bill of Costs.
- Preparing Case Summary Proposals.
- Preparing matters for Trial including Trial Record, Trial Certificate, Jury fees, obtaining witness statements, scheduling witnesses, drafting document agreements, drafting books of documents and authorities.
- Preparing matters for Mediation.
- Preparing and serving List of Documents.
- Preparing List of Disbursements.
- Facilitating file transfers.
- Preparing Application Records.
- Provide high level communication to clients.
- Set and meet annual goals and targets.
- Prepare, edit, format, proofread, and file legal documents, correspondence from dictation, instructions, handwritten and precedents.
- Manage calendars, schedules, appointments, and deadlines for lawyers.
- Maintaining bring forward or tracking system for limitation and follow-up dates.
- Communicate with clients, courts, opposing counsel, adjusters, and other parties in a professional and courteous manner.
- Scheduling trials, trial management conferences, case plan conferences, examinations for discovery, registrar hearings (estate litigation specific), and mediations.
- Land Title, Wills and Probate searches (estate litigation specific).
- Part VII funding requests and reimbursements (personal injury specific).
- Special Damages (personal injury specific).
- Scheduling medical appointments, including preparing letters of instruction and organizing records for experts.
- Serving expert reports.
- Reminding clients of scheduled dates.
- Scheduling client update meetings.
- Open, organize and maintain files, records, and reports.
- Paying invoices.
- Depositing cheques.
- Scanning/photocopying documents.
- Prepare retainer agreements.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, courier, fax and emails.
- Records requests and document production.
- Assist with Trial and Mediation preparation.
- Vacation coverage.
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned by lawyers.
- 7+ years’ work experience as a Legal Assistant.
- Knowledge of the rules of civil procedure, court systems and legal terminology in BC.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and other legal software applications as required.
- Experience with Filevine considered an asset.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to meet weekly targets.
- Excellent prioritization skills and able to meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional attitude – flexible, positive, proactive, dependable, willing/able to learn new skills.
- Enthusiastic and proactive participation in team and office activities to help maintain a cohesive team environment.
- Resourceful, proactive and solutions focused.
- Exhibits a high level of attention to detail, accuracy, and diligence.
- Able to effectively communicate and work as a collaborative team player.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills both on the phone and in person.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
- Professional customer service experience with the ability to defuse challenging situations.
- Possess strong efficiency, optimization, organizational, and communication skills.
- Voices concerns in a constructive solution-oriented manner
- Acts in a manner reflective of the company culture of high moral/ethical standards, innovation and continuous evolution, trust in team, continuous improvement, and sustainable relationships; and
- Lives our firm values of Results, Collaboration, Trust, and Generosity.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in growing their career in the legal field. We offer a supportive work environment where you can learn and grow as a Senior Legal Assistant.
If you are organized, detail-oriented, and have a passion for law, we would love to hear from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your interest in the position.
Annual Salary – $65,000 – 76,500