Partner & Business Development Executive
Areas of Practice
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our dear friend, colleague, and partner Mel Beaton following a battle with cancer.
In order to ensure continuity of Mel’s high standards of client service, we have an excellent team in place to manage our Business and Real Estate practices, led by Department Lead Nicola Collins. She and our first-rate team of support staff and lawyers are available to answer any questions you may have. You can contact Nicola directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604.269.8500.
Mel Beaton was one of the founding partners of the firm in 1999. Today, he acts as the Business Development Executive and Partner of the firm and leads the business law and real estate departments. He has practiced law for more than 25 years.
Mel has acted as lead counsel in some of the province’s largest valued real estate transactions. He typically handles business acquisitions and dispositions of varying sizes along with corporate reorganizations, commercial transactions, and agreements including technology and licensing agreements.
Mel’s clients frequently require his expertise on their real estate developments, sub-divisions, land acquisitions, commercial and construction projects, purchase, sale, finance, and lease transactions. He is also called upon for single and multi-phase strata plan developments, bylaw issues, and fundamental changes, such as amalgamations, winding-up procedures, and changes to common property and strata plans.
Mel started his career in the technology sector. As principal and co-owner of a technology company, he managed a team of consulting engineers for almost 10 years. His background in business gave him a solid appreciation of the practical “real world” concerns and objectives of the clients he serves today.
He then joined a medium-sized, broad-based law firm where he built his practice conducting business law and real estate transactions, including real estate development and strata law as well as continuing to serve technology clients.
Acting as a member of his strata council for seven years gave Mel hands-on experience with the processes and practical issues facing strata councils, owners and strata property managers. This experience has greatly complemented his skills in strata property law.
As an adjunct to his practice, Mel frequently contributes as an author to professional publications and legal education programs.
He also provides volunteer assistance to a number of community youth sports associations and charitable organizations, including community football and lacrosse associations and Education without Borders, a charity which provides educational support and programs for underprivileged and impoverished individuals.
- Admitted to the Bar of British Columbia, 1987
- LLB, The University of British Columbia, 1986
- B. Comm., The University of British Columbia, 1985
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Accredited Legal Advisor, Employee Share Ownership Program (B.C.), 2001
- Member, TEC Associate Group (TEC 9333)
- “Subdivision and Strata Title Registration.” Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- Contributing author, award-winning British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual, 2009
- “Email in the Workplace.” Canadian Bar Association Computer Law
- A Founding Director, Education Without Borders Foundation
- Former Director and Past President, South Delta Rams Football Club
- Executive Member, Vancouver Mainland Football League