Due to the safety concerns from COVID-19, many businesses have closed by order of the government.
Civil authority insurance covers situations where due to safety concerns for the general public, a government body denies access to a business premises.
Much like other forms of business interruption insurance, this coverage is not standard on every commercial policy. Even if purchased, all policies are different, and coverage for losses will depend on the specific wording and definition of each term.
Your business may be able to recover lost revenue and get reimbursed for normal operating expenses.
- Is the disease a peril or event that is covered under your insurance policy?
- Has physical access to your property been denied by everyone, or just the customers?
- How has access to your property been limited?
- Which level of government or which body gave the order to close?
- What was the exact wording of this order?
- When was this order given?
- Was the reason behind the order a safety concern for your particular industry or business, or is it to keep social distancing measures in place?
- Was there a nearby property where COVID-19 was present?